The Australian Institute of Traffic Planning and Management Incorporated (AITPM) provides a central point of reference for practitioners in traffic and transport planning and management. Members of the Institute are linked primarily by a common vocational interest rather than by similar academic qualifications alone.
Traffic Planning and Management is an integrated activity involving traffic management and operations, transport planning, economics, freight, road safety and sustainable transport. The AITPM network is extensive, with its underlying strength being its own membership. The Institute now has over 550 members and corporate members across Australia and New Zealand.
The Institute’s Mission is:
"Growing Traffic Skills and Knowledge to Deliver Sustainable Transport."
The aims of the Institute are to advance traffic planning and management; to increase the knowledge of its members by encouraging free discussion, exchange of ideas and research in this field; and to provide a central point of reference for practitioners.
The Institute is active in promoting informed discussion and has organised a major forum each year since 1982. The National Conference was established in 1988 and has now developed an unrivalled reputation for bringing together traffic planning and management practitioners from State and Local Government, private practice and academic institutions.
In summary other significant milestones in the Institute’s activities are:
- Pursued discussion and action about appropriate traffic and transport planning and management approaches for the Australian environment
- Provided a continued focus on relevant issues
- Raised the level of awareness so that traffic planning and management is now recognised as an integral part of any land-use development, not an optional extra
- Attracted an impressive range of Corporate Members and Sponsors to support its activities
- Increased the status of the Institute such that membership has been seen by many employers as desirable for employment in traffic planning and management.
PRESIDENT & ANNUAL REPORTS